Monday, May 19, 2014

Captain Sleepy Head

For a little boy who wears pajamas with the tagline “Captain Sleepy Head” he sure lives up to “Captain Sleep Next to Mommy’s Head” better. I guess this would take up too much room on his tiny 9-month nightshirt.

As advice poured in from well-seasoned parents previous to Arie’s arrival, the phrase: “whatever you do, don’t let him sleep with you” trumped ALL counsel. We never thought it would be an issue in our family, as our little man made his way into his crib at eight weeks old, sleeping twelve hours each night without interruption. The truth seemed too good. After a rough season of colds, flu, and upper respiratory issues, resulting in many nights next to us in our bed, this “too good to be true” routine was no longer.

With an over priced video monitor, that was just shy of being able to administer nighttime medications, as new parents we just couldn’t rest without him by our side.  At the time, we did not have fear of the future; picturing our eighteen-year old son still in bed with us, but nearly four months later, we’ve grown concerned.

It’s like our “dirty little secret”. Advice ringing heavily in our ears, not wanting to admit to the fact that even after receiving warning about this exact situation, we have somehow found ourselves deeply entrenched in this accidental turn.


As I heard Captain Sleepy Head awake from his crib in the middle of the night, calling to come into the much more comfortable, king-sized arrangement, I’m not going to lie, my heart was at ease. There’s something so fulfilling about wrapping my arms around this luscious little bundle, and pulling him towards my chest as we complete our night’s sleep. After so many years of waiting for these moments, why wouldn’t we want this? I get it; it’s a behavior, a conditioned one that only we have created. But sometimes behaviors are well worth the consequences that are tied to modification. I doubt when Arie is eighteen he will continue to reside in our bed, that would just be weird, and I bet he would think so too. But for now, there is just nothing weird about it; it’s just too natural and fulfilling. So here’s to another night “Captain Sleep Next to Mommy’s Head”!   

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! A mothers instincts are what God blessed all mama's with. After raising 5 kiddos (3 biological & 2 adopted), 3 were always near us and 2 preferred to be in their own bed, dark quiet room. Not one of them were still sleeping in our room after the first year unless they were scared or sick once in awhile. Getting our girls a little older we wanted to make sure they felt secure and always had us near by. 1 daughter wanted to be in her own room from the start and the other wanted to be with us and arms wrapped tightly around my neck the entire night. It is s with our babies. I miss it and wish for one night wish I could go back <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to this conclusion as well, and wish I had not wasted so much time trying to get Austin on his own. I think it is a cultural thing, not biological. Kids grow out of needing that amount of closeness, I have seen it happen with my kids. Do what works, trust your momma heart, and don't worry, he won't be in bed with you still at 18 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! THis is really such a short season, get all the hugs and snuggles anytime, night or day!

    ReplyDelete